Last Sunday marked the two year anniversary of Jason and Amy's deaths.
A few friends and family gathered at the Burgeson house to spend the
day together, and the same was probably done in RI for Amy.
Here is a brief summary of what is happening in the
case: (as of 6-16-02)
1. All five men WERE (see below) being prosecuted under the federal
carjacking laws. (11/20/00)
2. Two men, Burdick and Anderson, have signed plea bargains (ie: They've
plead guilty), and therefore cannot receive the death penalty. (12/22/00)
3. A third man, Sanchez, has plead guilty (without a plea bargain).
He too cannot receive the death penalty. (7/17/01)
4. Floyd, the alleged shooter, has plead guilty in exchange for avoiding
the death penalty. (9-28-01)
5. Day has still not entered a plea, but the federal government has
decided NOT to pursue the death penalty in his case. He went to trial
in February and was aquitted of Federal Charges (by the judge - the
case did not make it to the jury). The state will now pursue this case,
but no trial date has been set. None of the men will be sentenced until
Day's trial is over (2-27-02)
for old updates